Kai Tom Kah
(Mushroom Soup with Lemon Grass)
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 3 stalks lemon
grass, cut into 2-inch lengths, or 1 tablespoon dried lemongrass, soaked
- 4 teaspoons
laos powder/galangal or 4 thin slices fresh galangal (available in Asian markets)
- 1 chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup water
- 4 lime or lemon leaves,
or grated zest of 1 lime or lemon
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Juice of 1 lime or lemon
- Pour the coconut milk into a pan or wok and add the mushrooms, lemon grass, laos
powder/galangal and chile. Bring gently to a boil and simmer over gentle heat for
- Add the water, lime or lemon leaves (or zest) and 1 tablespoon of the
- Season with salt to taste and stir to combine the ingredients as they
cook together gently for 10 minutes.
- Before serving, scatter the remaining cilantro leaves on top.
- Pass the lemon
or lime juice separately.
Makes 4 servings.
Approximate values per serving: 347 calories, 29 g fat, 0 cholesterol, 7
g protein, 23 g carbohydrates, 7 g fiber, 175 mg sodium, 69 percent calories from
Posted by Tiffany at Recipe Goldmine 11/30/2001 12:25 pm.
Source: Global Vegetarian Cooking by Troth Wells