Mushroom Larb (Thailand)
In this traditional Thai dish mushrooms are the meat, seasoned and spiced with
lots of fresh mint and red pepper, for a satisfying eating experience.
- 1/2 of an orange zested and juiced
- 1/2 of a lime zested and juiced
- 2 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 (8-ounce) packages white button or cremini
mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
leaves, shredded carrots and
- Additional chopped fresh cilantro and mint
tablespoons natural peanut butter (optional)
- Combine orange zest and juice, lime zest and juice, oil, tamari and ginger; set
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet; add mushrooms and sauté
5 to 7 minutes or until caramelized. Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of reserved juice mixture
to pan, scraping to loosen browned bits from bottom of pan. Season with cilantro,
mint, red pepper and salt.
- Serve mushrooms warm with cabbage leaves and additional toppings for wrapping
and scooping. If desired, combine peanut butter with remaining juice mixture to
serve as a thicker dressing/dipping sauce or serve sauce as is.
Recipe by: Regan of Healthy Aperture and Recipe Redux
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the Mushroom Council.