Roasted Lemongrass Chicken
- 1 whole chicken, about 4 pounds
- 2 stalks lemongrass, peeled and sliced
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 piece ginger (2-inch), peeled
and cut into small chunks
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons Thai fish
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- In food processor, combine lemongrass, shallot, garlic, sugar, red pepper flakes,
salt, ginger, vegetable oil, Thai fish sauce and soy sauce. Process well, about
2 minutes. Place chicken in zipper-top plastic bag and pour marinade over, making
sure it is well-coated.
- Refrigerate chicken for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove chicken from bag, reserving marinade. Place chicken in roasting pan and
place in oven. Roast for about 1 hour 30 minutes, basting two or three times with
reserved marinade, until chicken is golden brown. Chicken is done when thermometer
inserted into thickest part of the thigh registers 180 degrees F.
- Let chicken rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the National Chicken Council.