Thai Barley Stir-Fry
- 1/2 cup regular pearl barley
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup thinly sliced eggplant
- 1/2 cup chopped
red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint leaves
- 8 to 10 drops red pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons
- Shredded red cabbage and carrot curls, for garnish
- Combine barley and water in small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce to low, cover,
and cook 45 minutes or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed. Set aside.
- In large skillet or wok, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over high heat. Add chicken
pieces and garlic. Stir-fry for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add cooked barley and stir-fry an additional
- Remove barley-chicken mixture from pan and keep warm. Heat remaining
1 tablespoon of oil in skillet.
- Add eggplant, bell pepper, and onion and stir-fry
- Add basil, mint, red pepper sauce, sugar, oyster sauce, and soy sauce.
Cook 2 more minutes.
- Return barley-chicken mixture to skillet and stir-fry 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle with peanuts and garnish with shredded red cabbage and carrot curls
for an authentic Thai finishing touch.
Source: National Barley Foods Council