Thai Chicken Wrapped in Lettuce (Laab)
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1/2 cup water
- 5 green onions, thinly sliced, green and white parts
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons ground rice*
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red chile flakes
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 heads Boston lettuce, leaves separated
- Heat a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat; add chicken and water. Cook,
stirring occasionally and breaking up large pieces, until chicken has turned completely
white, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat; drain chicken.
- Combine chicken, green
onions, shallots, mint, cilantro, fish sauce, ground rice, chile flakes and lime
juice in a serving bowl; toss well.
- Place lettuce on a plate. Let diners prepare their own wraps by placing a spoonful
of chicken on a lettuce leaf and rolling it up.
- * To make ground rice, heat a small, heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add 1/4 cup rice (jasmine or sticky rice is best, but use whatever you have on hand);
stir constantly until the rice turns golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat; let cool.
- Grind in a coffee mill or spice grinder. You will have some left over for another time.
Yield: 4 servings
Per serving: 162 calories (38 percent from fat), 7 g fat, 2 g saturated fat,
56 mg cholesterol, 10 g carbohydrates, 16 g protein, 757 mg sodium, 2 g fiber