Thai Lemon Beef
- 1 (1-inch thick) boneless beef top round steak
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 to 3 teaspoons dried crushed red pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 scallions, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Hot cooked ramen noodles or rice
- Garnishes: lemon rind strips, fresh basil sprigs
- Cut steak across grain into 1/8-inch thick strips, and place in a medium bowl.
- Combine soy sauce and next 4 ingredients. Reserve half of mixture.
- Pour remaining half of mixture over steak. Cover and chill 30 minutes.
- Drain steak, discarding marinade.
- Stir-fry half of steak in 1/2 tablespoon hot oil in a large nonstick skillet
or wok over medium high heat for 1 minute or until outside of beef is no longer pink.
- Remove from skillet, and repeat procedure with remaining oil and steak. Remove
- Add scallions and carrot to skillet, and stir-fry 3 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Whisk cornstarch into reserved soy sauce mixture; stir into vegetables, and stir-fry
- Add steak, and stir-fry until thoroughly heated.
- Serve over noodles or rice. Garnish, if desired.
Yield: 4 servings