Thai Seafood Soup
- 1 pound raw shrimp (peeled and deveined)*
- 1 pound fresh raw scallops
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon Thai chili paste
- 2 teaspoons freshly minced garlic
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 cup fresh bean sprouts
- 2 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped Thai basil
- Diced green onion for garnish
* Use small shrimp or dice into bite-size pieces.
- In a 4- or 6-quart stock pot heat oil and sweat onions, garlic, ginger and chili
paste for 3 minutes.
- Add stock and other vegetables and spices, bring to a boil
and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add seafood and simmer 8 to 10 minutes until cooked through.
- Taste and adjust seasonings before serving.
Yield: 6 to 8 serving.
You can use any firm fish instead of shrimp or scallops.