Thai Sweet-Hot Pineapple Blossoms
- 1 (4- to 5-pound) pineapple
- 2 (3- to 4-ounce) limes
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon hot chili flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- Cut 1/2 inch off the top and bottom of pineapple. Slice off rind about 1/4 inch
deep, from top to bottom. To remove eyes and make decorative notched edges, use
a small knife to cut continuous, parallel, wedge-shaped rows (1/2 inch deep) into
the sides of pineapple, following the spiral pattern of the eyes and working from
top to bottom. Cut fruit crosswise into 1/4- to 1/2-inch thick slices; arrange on
a platter or plates.
- Cut limes into halves or wedges.
- Mix salt with chili flakes and cayenne.
- Squeeze lime over fruit and offer chili salt to add to taste.
Makes 8 to 10 appetizer servings.
Source: Sunset - September 2002