Vietnamese Banana Cake with Cashews
This is a very solid, pudding-like but flavorsome cake.
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup cream
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 pounds very ripe bananas
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh cashews
- 1 cup grated fresh coconut
- Heat oven to 350 to 375 degrees F. Grease 2 (8-inch) pans and dust with flour, shaking out any excess.
- Beat eggs and sugar together with an electric mixer until mixture is thick and pale. Use a fairly low speed.
- Pour cream into bowl and beat for a few seconds longer, just to mix.
- Sift flour, add to bowl, and stir with a wooden spoon.
- Peel bananas and smash with the flat side of a chopper, but do not mash. Add to batter with nuts and coconut. Stir only until all ingredients are combined.
- Divide batter between the two pans.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until top is golden brown.
- Serve warm or cold.