Vietnamese Coconut Cookies
Yield: about 65 cookies
- 3 cups freshly grated coconut (about 1 large coconut - NO SUBSTITUTE)
- 4 egg whites
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spread coconut in even layer on large baking sheet and place on oven rack in highest position. Toast, stirring frequently, until coconut is an even golden brown, about 20 minutes. (Watch carefully to keep it from burning.) Remove and let cool.
- In large bowl with electric mixer, beat egg whites and salt until foamy,
about 30 seconds.
- Add sugar and beat until whites are very shiny white and form a thick ribbon when dropped from beaters, about 5 minutes.
- Using rubber spatula, fold in flour, butter and vanilla extract.
- Fold in toasted coconut last.
- Grease large baking sheets.
- Drop cookie batter by 1/2 tablespoonsful onto baking sheets about 1 inch apart.
- Using oven rack in highest position, bake about 15 to 20 minutes, watching carefully so edges don't burn.
- Immediately remove from baking sheets and place on rack to cool.
- Repeat with remaining batter.
These cookies become crisper the second day, so do not overbake them.