Vietnamese Steak Salad (Shaking Beef)
This is the ideal one-dish meal. But don't serve it to guests who are squeamish
about spicy, zesty food.
- 3/4 pound strip or porterhouse steak
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- 2 cups watercress, cleaned, with
heavy stems removed
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- Fresh mint
- Rub the steak with 4 cloves of the garlic.
- Sprinkle on the fish sauce, sugar,
salt and olive oil. Rub it again.
- Let it marinate for at least one hour.
- Fire up the grill.
- Marinate the scallions and the remaining clove of garlic in
- Grill the steak for 5 minutes on each side.
- Remove it from the grill
and let it cool for about 8 minutes.
- Slice it into thin cubes.
- Toss it together
with all remaining ingredients in a large bowl, and serve it with rice.