Yellow Thai Curry
(Gaeng Ka-Ree Gai)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans coconut milk, unshaken
- 2 teaspoons to 1 tablespoon red curry paste or yellow curry paste
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (if using red curry paste)
- 2 teaspoons yellow curry powder (if using red curry paste)
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken, cut into chunks
- 1 potato, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar or light brown sugar
- Jasmine or sticky rice
- Ginger* (optional)
- Garlic* (optional)
- Lemon grass* (optional)
- Carefully open coconut milk cans, spoon thick coconut cream from top and put
in wok, frying pan or medium saucepan. Heat over medium-high heat until bubbly.
Add curry paste (and curry powder and turmeric, if using) and stir-fry 2 to 3 minutes
or until an oily sheen comes to the surface. Optional additions: If adding ginger,
garlic and lemon grass, add with curry paste.
- Add chicken and stir-fry 2 to 3 minutes or until chicken is coated with curry paste.
- Add remaining coconut milk, potato, fish sauce and palm sugar, and simmer 15
minutes or until chicken and potato are cooked.
- Serve with jasmine rice or sticky rice.
Yield: 4 servings
* To enhance flavors, add one or more of the following to curry paste and stir-fry:
2 cloves garlic, crushed; 2 slices ginger, crushed; 1 stalk lemon grass, peeled
and sliced diagonally, using lower third of stalk only. Remove whole spices before