Yum Woon Sen
(Thai Bean Thread Salad)
- 1/4 cup large dried shrimp
- 2 ounces mung bean thread noodles
- 4 or 5 medium raw prawns, shelled, deveined
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 or 2 medium button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 celery stalk, thinly sliced at an angle
- 1 green onion, sliced into 1 1/2-inch lengths
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped coriander leaves
- Red lettuce, washed and drained
- Pound dried shrimp in a mortar to flatten them into soft, crumbly pieces. (They
should still be in relatively whole pieces.) Set aside.
- Soak the mung bean thread noodle in water for 1 hour, until soft.
- Using a strainer to hold the noodles, dip them into boiling for 1 second.
- Remove and immediately dip into ice water to stop the cooking.
- Drain well and set aside.
- Using a strainer to hold the prawns, boil for 6 seconds until they turn pink.
- Combine prawns and lime juice in a medium bowl; let stand 1 minute.
- Add the dried shrimp, noodles, fish sauce, sugar, mushrooms rooms, celery,
green onions and coriander leaves.
- Arrange the salad on a bed of lettuce and serve immediately.
Posted by WingsFan91 at Recipe Goldmine 6/26/01 5:06:49 am.