- 1 cup butter
- 2 (3 ounce) packages cream cheese
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 (1 1/4 to 1 1/2 ounce) envelopes taco seasoning mix
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 pound sliced Monterey jack cheese
- In a bowl, combine the butter, cream cheese, flour and 2 teaspoons of the taco seasoning mix. Mix with fingers until well-blended. Cover and refrigerate at least 1/2 hour or until dough is firm.
- Meanwhile, season ground beef with one full package of the taco seasoning mix. (Add remainder of first packet to make it spicier.) Cook meat according to directions on seasoning package. Remove dough from refrigerator. Form dough into balls the size of a pecan, flatten with hands and press into miniature tart or muffin pans. (There should be about 48 pastry crusts.)
- Fill each crust with about 1 rounded teaspoon of meat mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut cheese slices into 1-inch squares. Remove pans from oven and top each tart with a cheese slice. Return to oven and bake 2 minutes longer.
- Serve hot or warm.