Black Walnut Pound Cake
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup black walnuts, chopped
- Beat butter and shortening at medium speed with electric mixer about 2 minutes
or until soft and creamy.
- Gradually add sugar, beating at medium speed 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until yellow disappears.
- Combine flour and baking powder; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk,
beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix just until blended after each addition.
- Stir in vanilla extract and walnuts.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured 10-inch tube pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted
in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 to 15 minutes; remove from pan, and let cool completely on
a wire rack.