Lemon Pound Cake
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Grated rind of 1 lemon
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- A grating of fresh nutmeg
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- Cake: Beat the sugar and butter together until light and fluffy.
- Add the sour cream,
egg whites, lemon juice and lemon rind, and beat until smooth.
- Add the flour, baking soda, and nutmeg and beat until smooth.
- Pour into a greased and floured loaf pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for 40 to 50 minutes, until a wooden pick
inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Spoon the warm lemon syrup over the cake, allowing it to soak in.
- Lemon Syrup: Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil
over moderate heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Cool slightly before pouring
Yield: 1 cake to serve 8 to 12; about 3/4 cup (180 ml) Lemon Syrup
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Pound Cake Recipes