Savage Mountain Pound Cake
Yield: 20 servings
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- Place the oven rack at the upper middle level and heat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease two 9 x 4 x 2-inch loaf pans, and cut two pieces of parchment paper to measure 8 x 15 inches. Line the pans with the parchment, and grease and flour* the
parchment as well.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl and set aside.
- In a second large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla extract, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing thoroughly after each addition.
- Mix in the milk and the flour mixture alternately, starting and ending with dry ingredients.
- Pour the batter into the pans and level it with a spatula.
- Bake for 65 to 75 minutes. After 1 hour, check for doneness. If a wooden pick inserted in the center of each pan emerges clean, the cakes are done.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Gently remove the cakes from the pans by pulling on the parchment overlaps.
- Cool for 2 hours before cutting and serving.
* For best results, use our Pan Release!
Posted by RUdy2 at recipegoldmine.com.
Source: Mark Sohn's Hearty Country Cooking, a 1996 James Beard Award nominee