Apple Custard Pie 2
- 1 cup thinly sliced, peeled apples
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk, heated until very warm
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Apple Layer: Combine 1 tablespoon sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg; Toss with apples.
Arrange apples evenly in bottom of crust.
- Custard Layer: Beat eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt. Beat in milk. Pour over apple
- Carefully place pie on rack in center of 400 degrees F oven.
- Bake until knife inserted midway between center and edge of pie comes out clean,
- Cool completely on wire rack.
- Refrigerate, loosely covered, until firm, several hours or overnight.
- Garnish with thin red and green apple slices.
Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cook Time: 30 minutes | Makes: 6 servings
For easier slicing, use a thin-bladed knife. Wipe knife with clean damp towel,
or rinse knife under warm water, after each cut.
Refrigerate any leftover pie promptly.
Nutrition Information Per Serving calories: 442 total fat: 30g saturated
fat: 7g polyunsaturated fat: 8g monounsaturated fat: 13g cholesterol: 161mg sodium:
379mg carbohydrates: 35g dietary fiber: 2g protein: 10g vitamin A: 388.7IU vitamin
D: 73.4IU folate: 64.4mcg calcium: 133.8mg iron: 1.9mg choline: 123.1mg
Recipe and photo credit: the American Egg Board.