Basic Unbaked Piecrust
This basic pastry dough can be used to make tart shells and quiche crusts as
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening,
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water, divided
- 2 teaspoons fresh
- Mix flour and salt in large bowl.
- Cut in shortening with pastry blender until pieces are the size of small peas.
- Mix egg yolk, 3 tablespoons ice water and the lemon juice in small bowl. Add
to flour mixture, 1 tablespoons at a time, stirring lightly and tossing with fork
until moistened and dough just holds together.
- Add remaining ice water, if needed. Gather dough and shape into 1-inch thick
- Refrigerate, wrapped in plastic wrap, 1 hour or overnight.
- Roll out dough on lightly floured surface, rolling from center to edge, to form
a 12-inch circle. Fold into quarters; ease and unfold into 9-inch pie plate. Press
pastry gently against bottom and sides of pie plate, easing out any air. Trim edge
leaving 1/2-inch overhang. Fold overhang under; flute edge.
- Refrigerate, covered, for at least 30 minutes.
- Follow specific recipe for baking directions.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 1 crust (9-inch)
Insider Info: See Basic Baked
Piecrust for use in recipes that call for a baked 9-inch pie shell.
Shortcut: Pastry dough can be made in food processor.
Reprinted with permission from
the American Egg Board.