Basic Unbaked Piecrust
Prep: 20 min | Yield: 1 (9 inch) crust
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening, cold
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water, divided
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Mix flour and salt in large bowl.
- Cut in shortening with pastry blender until pieces are the size of small peas.
- Mix egg yolk, 3 tablespoons ice water and the lemon juice in small bowl. Add to flour mixture, 1 tablespoons at a time, stirring lightly and tossing with fork until moistened and dough just holds together.
- Add remaining ice water, if needed. Gather dough and shape into 1-inch thick disk.
- Refrigerate, wrapped in plastic wrap, 1 hour or overnight.
- Roll out dough on lightly floured surface, rolling from center to edge, to form a 12 inch circle. Fold into quarters; ease and unfold into 9 inch pie plate. Press pastry gently against bottom and sides of pie plate, easing out any air. Trim edge leaving a 1/2 inch overhang. Fold overhang under; flute edge.
- Refrigerate, covered, for at least 30 minutes.
- Follow specific recipe for baking directions.
This basic pastry dough can be used to make tart shells and quiche crusts as well. Double the recipe for a 2 crust pie!
See Basic Baked Piecrust for use in recipes that call for a baked 9 inch pie shell.
Shortcut: Pastry dough can be made in food processor.
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
American Egg Board