Cream of Green Chile Soup
This soup was famous at the Anasazi in Midland, Texas, which has now closed.
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/3 cup minced onion
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1/2 ounce fresh mild green chiles, such as Anaheim, roasted and chopped
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup half-and-half
- Freshly-ground white pepper, to taste
- In a saucepan bring the broth to a boil with the onion. Boil the mixture for
5 minutes, and let it cool.
- In a food processor chop fine the garlic and the chiles; add the cream cheese,
sour cream and cumin. Blend the mixture until it is combined well.
- With the motor
running add the broth mixture in a steady stream. Blend the mixture until it is
combined well, and transfer it to a large bowl.
- Stir in the half-and-half, white
pepper and salt to taste, and chill the soup, covered, for at least 2 hours or overnight.
Makes about 8 cups, serving 8 to 10.