- 1 (10 to 12 pound) turkey
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 to 5 gallons peanut oil
- Rinse and dry turkey.
- Remove neck and giblet bag from small cavity in front and
the large body cavity.
- Generously season inside cavity with salt and pepper. Use
as much cayenne pepper as taste buds will allow.
- Heat oil in cooking pot large enough to submerse turkey in hot oil.
- Heat oil
to 350 degrees F to 375 degrees F.
- When oil is hot, using a sling of strong twine
or a lifter, lower turkey into hot oil.
- Cook about 5 minutes per pound or until
meat thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reaches 180 degrees F.
Makes 10 to 12 servings.