Pedernales River Chili
This is the chili that was always cooked at the LBJ Ranch in Texas. It was a
favorite of Lyndon B. Johnson. He ate this with saltine crackers and a glass of
ice cold milk.
- 4 pounds coarsely-ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin seeds
- 6 teaspoons
red chili powder
- 2 (16 ounce) cans tomatoes
- Salt, to taste
- 2 cups hot water
- Put the meat, onion and garlic in a large pot and sear until light brown.
the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer, covered,
for 1 hour.
- Let cool, then refrigerate.
- Skim the congealed fat from the top.
the chili to serve.