Rio Grande Valley Pink Grapefruit Pie
- 4 medium to large pink or red grapefruit
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 cups water or strained grapefruit juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 (3 ounce) box strawberry gelatin
- 1 (8- or 9-inch) pie crust, baked
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped
- Peel grapefruit, separate sections (see note), and remove from membranes. Place
sections in a strainer over a bowl overnight.
- Cook sugar, juice, cornstarch and salt until thick and clear.
- Add gelatin and stir until dissolved.
- Brush gelatin mixture over pie crust.
- Chill gelatin mixture and crust.
- When gelatin starts to thicken, add grapefruit sections.
- Pour into pie crust and chill until set.
- Top with whipped cream.
Serves 6 to 8.
The grapefruit should be sectioned lengthwise. By slicing the ends off,
the fruit can be set flat on the cutting board to make it easier to slice the rind
off lengthwise. Use a small, sharp knife to then remove the sections from the membranes.
Source: Mesquite Country: Tastes & Traditions from the Tip of Texas
published by the Museum of South Texas History
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.