San Antonio Stew
- 2 pounds boneless beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed beef broth
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup PACE picante sauce
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 ears fresh or thawed frozen corn, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium zucchini (about 1 ounce), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons flour
- In large Dutch oven, brown meat, half at a time, in hot oil. Return all meat
to Dutch oven.
- Add broth, hot water, picante sauce, onion, parsley, salt, cumin
and garlic. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 1 hour or until meat
- Drain and coarsely chop tomatoes, reserving juice, add tomatoes and juice to
Dutch oven with carrots, corn and zucchini. Cover and simmer 25 minutes or until
vegetables are tender.
- Gradually add cold water to flour, mixing until smooth. Gradually stir into stew.
Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute or until thickened.
- Serve with additional picante sauce.
Makes 8 servings, about 10 cups stew.
Source: Pace Picante Sauce 40th Anniversary Recipe Collection - A Treasury of
Tex-Mex Cooking, 1987