South Texas Carne Guisada
- 3 pounds sirloin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 clove garlic, mashed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (11 ounce) can beef broth
- 4 flour tortillas, warmed
- Sour cream, cheese and pico de gallo (optional)
- Cut beef into 3/4-inch cubes. In large nonstick skillet or stock pot, sauté beef until brown, over MEDIUM heat.
- Add oil and flour and toss with beef until flour is brown.
- Add water and spices, stirring well.
- Add beef broth and reduce heat to MEDIUM-LOW. Simmer for approximately 30 minutes until beef is tender. (If sauce seems too thin, add a bit more flour to desired consistency.)
- Place a warmed flour tortilla in a soup bowl and spoon the carne guisada into the "tortilla bowl." Garnish with sour cream, cheese and pico de gallo, as desired.
Yield: 4 servings
Recipe and photo used with permission from: Texas Beef Team