Cajun Shrimp au Gratin
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 small onion,
- 1 stalk celery, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- Cajun seasoning, to taste
- 1 tablespoon unsalted
- 1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- dried parsley for garnish
- If you are using very large shrimp, halve them.
- Sauté onion and celery in butter until wilted.
- Remove from heat and stir in flour, egg yolks, evaporated milk and Cajun
- Return to heat and stir continuously until thickened into almost a ball
and the butter starts oozing.
- Remove from the heat; stir in the shrimp.
- Put mixture into small baking dishes.
- Combine the butter and breadcrumbs and sprinkle over the middle of the mixture
in the baking dishes.
- Generously sprinkle with shredded cheddar and top with dried parsley.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 15-18 minutes until cheese browns and is bubbly.
Other Cajun and Creole recipes you may like...
Deep Fried Turkeys
Deviled Louisiana Blue Crab Cakes with Smoky Rémoulade Sauce
Louisiana Crawfish Ravioli with Crawfish Cream Sauce