Shrimp and Okra Gumbo
- 1 pound okra
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 large onions
- 2 green bell peppers
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (1 pound 12 ounce) can tomatoes
- 2 (13 3/4 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon leaf thyme, crunched
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 pound shrimp (or more)
- Hot, cooked rice
- Gumbo file, as desired
- Heat oil and butter in heavy saucepan over medium heat. Sauté okra, onions and
bell peppers for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle with flour. Stir until flour becomes golden brown.
- Add remaining ingredients, except shrimp, rice and gumbo file. Simmer for 45
- Add shrimp. Cook for 5 minutes longer.
- Season with gumbo file.
- Serve over rice.