Hot Hot Vinegar
- 9 chiles de arbol
- 7 cascabel chiles
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 fresh scallions
- 3 garlic cloves, halves
- 3 3/4 cups cider vinegar
- In a dry cast iron skillet, toast chiles briefly over medium heat, just until
fragrance begins to be released.
- Place the chiles in a quart bottle or jar.
- Add cilantro, scallions and garlic, using a wooden spoon handle to help position the ingredients.
- In a saucepan, bring the vinegar to a boil, and pour as much of it over the chiles, vegetables and herbs as will fit in the bottle or jar.
- Cool to room temperature, cover, and store in a dark place for at least 5 days before using.
Sprinkle it over Drunken Beans or quelites, or use it in salsa and hot sauces.