Montana Sourdough Doughnuts
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup sourdough starter (purchased or homemade)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon melted lard or cooking oil
- 4 1/2 cups
sifted all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Fat for frying
- Beat eggs and sugar together Add starter, buttermilk, lard, and sifted dry ingredients.
- Turn out dough and knead on a lightly floured board until smooth.
to 1/2-inch thickness and cut with 2 3/4-inch doughnut cutter.
- Put on greased cookie
sheet and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Fry in hot deep fat (370 degrees F) until golden
brown and done.
- Roll in sugar.
Makes about 3 dozen.
Posted by Olga at Recipe Goldmine 8/10/02 3:15:13 pm.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.