Rustic Country Sourdough Bread
- 2 packages dry yeast
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
- 1 cup sourdough starter (at
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 eggs,
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 5 1/2 to 6 cups unbleached flour, divided
- Vegetable oil
- Melted butter
- Dissolve yeast in water in a large nonreactive bowl; let stand 5 minutes.
- Stir in sourdough starter, sugar, salt, eggs, oil and 3 cups flour. Gradually
add remaining flour.
- Turn dough out on a floured surface and knead until smooth
and elastic (about 8 to 10 minutes).
- Place in a well-greased bowl, turning to grease
- Cover and let rise in a warm place (85 degrees F ), free from drafts, 1 to
1 1/2 hours or until doubled in bulk.
- Punch dough down; divide in half and place on a floured surface. Roll each half
into an 18 x 9-inch rectangle. Beginning at narrow edge, tightly roll up dough.
Pinch seam and ends together to seal. Place loaves, seam side down, in greased 9
x 5 x 3-inch loaf pans. Brush top with oil.
- Cover loaves; let rise in a warm place
(85 degrees F), free from drafts, about 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 30 to 35 minutes or until loaves sound hollow when
- Remove from pans; brush with melted butter.
Yields 2 loaves.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.