Sourdough Cornmeal Bread
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 4 to 6 cups bread flour
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Mix starter with 1 cup water and 1 cup flour.
- Let sit overnight to ferment and
then return all but 1 cup starter to the bowl of starter in the refrigerator.
- With the reserved starter, mix in 1 1/2 cups warm water and the yeast.
- Add salt,
molasses and 2 1/2 cups flour. Beat for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Cover and let rise about 2 hours.
- Stir in baking powder, 2 cups cornmeal and 1/2 cup bread flour. Add flour if
necessary to make a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured board and knead 5 minutes.
- Divide dough in half, cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- Shape into loaves and place
into greased loaf pans.
- Let rise until double, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 40 minutes.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.