Sourdough Pumpernickel Bread
- 1 1/2 cups sourdough starter
- 2 packages dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
(110 degrees F)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 3 tablespoons
- 2 1/2 teaspoons caraway seed
- 3 cups rye flour
- 2 1/2 to
3 cups whole wheat or all-purpose flour
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water. Add to sourdough starter along with salt, molasses,
oil and caraway seed; mix well.
- Alternately add rye flour and all-purpose or whole
wheat flour to make a dough that pulls away from the side of the bowl and is easy
to handle. Be sure not to add flour all at once. Add as needed.
- Turn out onto lightly
floured board and knead about 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic, adding more
flour, if necessary.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once. Cover with a cloth.
Set in warm place free from drafts and let rise until double in size.
- Divide dough in half. Shape and place in greased loaf pans. Let rise until 1/2
to 3/4-inch above pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 50 to 60 minutes.
Makes 2 loaves.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Sourdough Recipes