- 1 deep-dish pastry shell
- 2 avocados, mashed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 4 fresh
green chiles, roasted and peeled, or
- 1 (4 ounce) can mild green chiles
- 1/4 teaspoon
hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 to 2 tablespoons
taco seasoning mix or chili powder
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Without pricking the crust, bake the shell for 10 minutes; then remove and cool.
- Reduce the temperature to 375 degrees F.
- If using a frozen pastry shell, you will need to reduce the half-and-half in
the filling, as the prepared shells are smaller. Reduce the cooking time as well
by 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the avocados with garlic, lemon juice, tomato, half
the chiles and pepper sauce. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a medium-size skillet, sauté the beef, onion, remaining chiles and seasoning
for about 12 to 15 minutes or until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Drain and discard all excess fat.
- In a small bowl, combine the eggs, half-and-half and seasonings.
- Place the grated cheese in the shell, topped by the drained beef and the egg
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes at 375 degrees F or until set.