Mission Fritada with Wine Syrup
- 8 bolillos or a medium loaf French bread, slightly stale
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup half-and-half or whole milk
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Butter and vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup sweet, fruity white or red wine
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon citrus zest (lemon with white wine or orange with red wine)
- Pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg
- Fritada: Slice bolillos or bread into fat finger-length pieces about 1/2 inch
- In a medium bowl whisk together eggs, half and half or milk, sugar and spices.
Dip bread slices into the mixture, soaking both sides well.
- Heat a griddle. Add 1 tablespoon each of butter and oil to the skillet.
- Fry the bread in batches until golden brown, adding more butter and oil as needed
to keep the bread browning evenly.
- Serve the fritada garnished with orange or lemon slices with the warm syrup.
- Wine Syrup: Combine all syrup ingredients in a saucepan. Simmer over medium-low
heat for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to dissolve the sugar evenly.
- Keep the syrup warm.