Prickly Pear Eggs
Variation: Scramble the eggs, stirring them into the mixture in the skillet; continue to stir until the eggs are cooked but still moist. You may also add some chopped cooked bacon, if desired.
- 1 or 2 fresh nopales
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 tablespoons butter or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup red or green chile sauce
- 8 eggs
- Salt and pepper
- Trim and clean the cactus pads. Dice each pad, then cover with salted water in a saucepan, and simmer gently until tender — 5 to 10 minutes.
- Drain pads in a sieve and rinse under cold water to rid pads of their sticky, okra-like juice.
- In a large skillet, sauté the onion in butter or vegetable oil until soft.
- Add the nopales and chili sauce and mix well.
- Break the eggs gently on top of the mixture, cover tightly, and steam until the egg whites are set — 5 to 10 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve directly from the frying pan.
Yield: 4 servings