Prickly Pear Eggs
- 1 or 2 fresh nopales
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 tablespoons butter
or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup red chile sauce
- 8 eggs
- Salt and pepper
- Trim and clean the cactus pads. Dice each pad, then cover with salted water in
a saucepan, and simmer gently until tender — 5 to 10 minutes.
- Drain pads in a sieve and rinse under cold water to rid pads of their sticky,
- In a large skillet, sauté the onion in butter or vegetable oil until soft.
- Add the nopales and red chili sauce and mix well.
- Break the eggs gently on top of the mixture, cover tightly, and steam until the
egg whites are set — 5 to 10 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve directly from the frying pan.
Yield: 4 servings
Variation: Scramble the eggs, stirring them into the mixture in the skillet;
continue to stir until the eggs are cooked but still moist. You may also add some
chopped cooked bacon, if desired.
Other Southwestern breakfast and brunch recipes you may like...
Breakfast Burritos with Green Chiles
Coyote Gulch Breakfast Quesadilla