Southwest Breakfast Burritos
- 8 ounces turkey breakfast sausages, casings removed
- 1/2 red or green bell pepper, diced
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 4 (8- to 10-inch) whole wheat tortillas, warmed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded pepper Jack cheese
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Cook sausage over medium
heat, breaking into crumbles, until browned and cooked through. Pour off all but
1 tablespoon drippings. Add bell pepper; sauté until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Pour eggs over mixture in skillet. As eggs begin to set, gently the eggs
across the pan with an inverted turner, forming large soft curds. Continue
cooking – pulling, lifting and folding eggs – until thickened and no visible
liquid egg remains. Do not stir constantly.
- Spoon egg mixture into center of tortillas, dividing evenly; sprinkle
with cheese. Fold in sides of tortillas, then roll up burrito-style.
Tortillas can be stacked and heated in microwave oven, about 30 seconds.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the American Egg Board.