- 1 (3 pound) boneless shoulder chuck roast
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings or vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup beef stock
- 10 (10-12 inch) flour tortillas
- Rub the salt and pepper on the roast. Sauté in the oil. Add onion and garlic.
Add the beef broth. Cover tightly and simmer for about 1 1/2 hours, until roast
is very tender.
- Cool until you can handle the roast. With 2 forks shred the beef
into small pieces.
- Add the meat to the broth and add another 1/2 cup diced onion. Cook until all
liquid is out of the beef. The beef should remain moist but not juicy.
- Warm the tortilla enough so that you can roll it. Place 3/4 cup of the mixture
in the center of the tortilla. Fold in sides and roll up. Secure with wooden picks.
- To serve: Warm 5 inches oil in Dutch oven or other large pan to 375 degrees F.
Fry until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Drain.
- Top with cheese, sour cream, tomatoes and salsa.
- Serve immediately.