Cafe con Leche Custard
- 3 cups milk, divided
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 1/2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- Whipped cream, chocolate-covered espresso beans for garnish (optional)
- Reserve 1 cup of the milk. Place the remaining 2 cups milk, cream,
coffee powder and sugar in a heavy saucepan and whisk well.
- Blend the cornstarch with the remaining 1 cup milk, then stir into
the mixture in the saucepan. Set over medium heat and cook, whisking
constantly, until mixture thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook an additional 10 minutes.
- Beat the eggs well. Slowly add a half cup of the hot coffee mixture
into the eggs, whisking briskly so egg does not curdle. Gradually
pour the egg mixture into the coffee mixture, still over low heat,
and whisk well to incorporate. Cover and cook 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat and pour into coffee cups or custard dishes. Cover
with plastic wrap. Chill thoroughly. When ready to serve, top with
fresh whipped cream and a chocolate covered espresso bean.
Yield: 8 servings