Baked Chiles Rellenos
- 4 large Anaheim or Pasillas chiles
- 2 cups cheese (blend of Cheddar, Monterey jack and cotija cheeses)
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, crushed
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup onions, diced
- Roast chiles (grill or broil method) and gently remove the skins. Slice chiles down the middle and open for stuffing. Fill each chile with cheese
blend, reserving some for the topping. Turn the chiles rellenos over, stuffed side down.
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine all sauce ingredients in a saucepan, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes to combine flavors. Pour sauce over the
rellenos, top with remaining cheese, and bake for 25 minutes until lightly brown and bubbly.