- 8 green poblano chiles
- 1 pound Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs, separated
- Chiles rellenos sauce
- Wash and dry green chiles. Dry them well. Place chiles in hot oil
in skillet and allow to fry about 1 to 2 minutes until a light brown
color. You will see them blister as they cook. Fry on both sides
and remove from oil. Peel under cold running water, trying to keep
the stems on. Cut a slit on one side of each chile and remove seeds
carefully so that peppers don't tear.
- Cut cheese sticks about 4 inches long to push through the slits.
Stuff each chile with one cheese stick, dry with paper towels, sprinkle
with salt and pepper, and roll in flour. Set aside and prepare egg
- Beat egg whites in a medium-size bowl until stiff, like meringue.
Add beaten egg yolks, folding and mixing lightly so as not to disturb
the lightness of egg whites. Season egg mixture very lightly with
salt and pepper.
- Heat about 1/2 inch oil in a large skillet. Dip each floured chile
in the egg mixture until well covered and fry in hot oil as you
would fritters, turning once. They should be a light golden color.