Margarita Pie 2
- 3/4 cup pretzel crumbs
- 5 tablespoons melted butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 envelope plain gelatine
- 1/2 cup fresh Mexican lime juice
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated Mexican lime zest
- 1/4 cup Jose Cuervo Gold tequila
- 3 tablespoons Cointreau or Triple Sec
- Combine crumbs, butter and sugar and press the mixture into a 9-inch pie plate. Chill.
- Sprinkle gelatine over lime juice and let the mixture set for a few minutes until it is soft.
- Beat egg yolks in the top of a double boiler and add 1/2 cup of the sugar and the lime zest and continue beating. Add gelatine and continue cooking over the boiling water, stirring constantly until the mixture is slightly thickened. Pour this mixture into a bowl
and blend in the tequila and Cointreau. Chill this mixture for 30 minutes.
- Beat egg whites until frothy and foamy and gradually add the remaining 1/2 cup sugar; continue beating until stiff peaks form. Fold the whipped whites into the chilled, cooked mixture and pour into the crust and chill until set, about 5 hours.