Mexican Chicken and Grits Pie
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cubed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons evaporated skim milk
- 1/2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Salt and cayenne pepper to taste
- No-stick cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup golden or white grits
- 1/4 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 3 ounces shredded Gouda or other cheese
- Chicken: In large, nonstick skillet sprayed with no stick cooking spray cook
chicken over medium-high heat until well-browned and firm. Drain
- Add onion to skillet and sauté until lightly browned
and tender. Reduce heat to low, stir in flour and then gradually
whisk in evaporated milk and sour cream. Bring to a simmer, remove
from heat and stir in corn, diced tomatoes and cilantro. Season
to taste with salt and cayenne pepper.
- Spoon into a 2-quart baking dish and smooth the top.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Pour grits over the chicken. Bake for 30 minutes, until the grits have set and the filling begins to bubble.
- Grits: In a saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil. Gradually whisk in
grits. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thick, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Let cool somewhat before stirring in milk, egg and cheese.
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
National Chicken Council