Mexican Pecan Pie
- 7 tablespoons butter, divided
- 5 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs, separated
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup finely ground pecans
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup honey
- Whipped cream
- Cream 6 tablespoons butter and brown sugar until fluffy. Add vanilla extract and beat in egg yolks until creamy.
- In a separate bowl, with very clean beaters, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Add granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, continuing to beat. Fold 1/3 of the egg whites into the yolk mixture. Add this to the remaining whites and fold in. Mix nuts with flour and fold into egg mixture. Pour evenly into a buttered 8 inch pie plate. Smooth the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees F until it tests done with a knife inserted near the middle, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cool on a rack for 10 minutes. Turn out of pan onto rack.
- Combine remaining 1 tablespoon butter and honey. Bring to a bubbling boil. Cool slightly and pour over pie while it is still warm.
- To serve, cut into wedges and top with whipped cream and a light dusting of cinnamon.