Mexican Green Rice (Arroz Verde)
- 1/8 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup Basmati or long-grain rice
- 2 large poblano chiles, tops removed, seeded, and diced
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 garlic cloves, mashed
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a Dutch oven with a tight-fitting lid, heat oil and sauté rice.
- In a blender puree chiles, cilantro leaves, garlic, and onion with
2 cups hot water. Strain over the sautéed rice. Add chicken bouillon
granules and stir until dissolved. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Cover and cook for 20 to 25 minutes until rice is tender.
- Meanwhile, cook frozen peas and carrots in lightly salted water
for 1 minute.
- Drain. Add 1 tablespoon butter and garnish rice with them.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings